It should be unsurprising that Occupy Wall Street is viewed favorably by most Americans since they are representing the interests of 99% of us.
According to this new poll 54% of Americans view the movement favorably vs. only 23% who do not. Only 23% say they have no opinion of the movement which shows how quickly it has spread despite the corporate media’s initial attempts to ignore it.
Angry At The Right People
As economist Paul Krugman wrote: “we may, at long last, be seeing the rise of a popular movement that, unlike the Tea Party, is angry at the right people.”
The Occupy Wall Street movement is angry at the destructive forces of Wall Street that wrecked our economy and who haven’t paid any kind of price for it while millions of Americans have lost their savings and/or their jobs.
They are angry at an economic system that works only for the super rich while leaving the rest of the country behind. Over the last 30 years of “trickle down economics” the only people who have truly benefited are those at the top 1%, the other 99% have seen very little growth.
Not Just About The Poor & The Jobless
Some people misunderstand Occupy Wall Street (those in that 23% who disapprove of the movement.) They have been fooled by corporate media/right wing politicians into thinking that it’s just about “lazy poor people.” But it’s really not. It’s about the other 99% of us who are not among the super rich who benefit from the corrupt status quo.
For example, according to professor Paul Buchheit upper middle class families would be making, on average, $12,500 more per year if they had the same share of the economic wealth as they did in 1980 (before the disaster known as “Reaganonics” or “trickle down economics.”)
This is a very important point. Right wing economic policies only benefit the very rich. They do not benefit even the upper middle class! When right wing politicians and corporate media try to turn this into a middle class vs. poor/working class thing they are selling a lie. This is about economic fairness for everyone, not just the poor & working class, but for the middle class and even the upper middle class too!
We’re all on the same side here: We are the 99%. Whether you are jobless, working class, middle class, or even upper middle class: Occupy Wall Street represents your interests.
And as Warren Buffet proves, some of those who are in the 1% understand that a society that works only for their benefit is doomed to fail in the long run. Occupy Wall Street is not about demonizing individuals (unless, perhaps, they deserve it), it’s about an entire system that is corrupt.
A system that says corporations are people.
A system that allows Warren Buffet to get taxed at a lower rate than his secretary (and then has a political party stand in the way of rectifying that problem despite overwhelming popular support.)
A system that allows people to work full time and yet be paid such a low wage that they are still living in poverty without basic necessities such as health insurance.
A system that leads to high unemployment and a political party that would prefer to play politics rather than to do something about it.
A system that allows banks to get “too big to fail.”
Simply put; a system that works wonderfully for the top 1% while failing miserably for everyone else.