This short documentary narrated by Tom Hanks covers President Barack Obama’s first term in the White House. This documentary, which puts the past four years in some much needed context, is titled “The Road We’ve Traveled.”
+ The economy was in a free fall as President George W. Bush left office and President Obama took over.
- “An economic crisis beyond anything anybody had imagined.”
- “The auto industry was literally days from collapse.”
- “As deep as anything we’ve experienced since the Great Depression.”
- “The financial system is locked up and it could collapse.”
- “This is going to add trillions of dollars to our debt.”
+ Before the President’s Recovery Act the economy was hemorrhaging jobs.
- There have now been 24 consecutive months of private sector job growth.
- During the low point of the Bush Recession, in early 2009, the US economy was losing 800,000+ jobs per month. Now we are gaining 200,000+ jobs per month.
+ The President’s bold action saved the auto industry.
- Because of President Obama’s auto bailout GM is the #1 automaker in the world once again and many US jobs have been saved.
- The auto bailouts have been repaid.
+ Health Care Reform.
- Ends discrimination against people with “pre-existing conditions.”
- Bans health insurance companies from dropping sick people.
- Over 30 million more Americans will have health care coverage because of “ObamaCare.”
- Cuts the deficit by $1.3 trillion over the next 20 years.
+ President Obama Ended the Iraq War.
- John McCain said we should spend another 100 years in Iraq.
+ As Commander in Chief President Obama directed the killing of Osama Bin Laden.
- For over seven years President Bush failed to get the man responsible for 9/11.
+ John McCain said he wouldn’t go into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden.
+ President Obama Reformed the Student Loan System.
+ Justice Sonia Sotomayor & Justice Elena Kagan.
The importance of these Supreme Court nominations cannot be overstated.